Sunday, June 05, 2005

I did not breastfeed my oldest. I did not know anyone in real life who was breastfeeding at the time (my mom had) and I was returning to work at 6 weeks postpartum and didn't want to deal with pumping. I considered it, but quickly decided against it. With my next two I did not breastfeed because I didn't know how, and figured it was too late to learn. I almost tried and wish I had. When I breastfed my 4th child I was astounded at the difference in the way I felt about her and bonded to her. I really feel like breastfeeding made me a better mother in many ways. I went on to breastfeed my 5th as well. The twins are nursing and getting supplementation and in many ways I still feel like a failure about that. I've told myself that the others who had bottles were fine, but I know in my heart that breastmilk is far superior to formula.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

{{{{big hug}}}}

I nursed my firstborn to two years, nine months. A wonderful journey with no hurdle (and there were plenty) we could not over come.

So it took me completely off guard to find how difficult it was to nurse my twins. The ongoing latch issues, the horrible reflux that made me feel like I was torturing them, not feeding them. We lasted only 13 weeks. I was crushed and felt like a complete failure.

Maybe I was. But 3.5 years later . . . maybe it doesn't matter so much.

You're doing great. Just keep swimmin' . . .

2:50 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

You are doing great! I had to start supplementing my twins at 8 1/2 months with formula. (before that it was supplementing from the freezer stash from pumping when they were in the NICU). I just couldn't produce enough for 2 babies. That happens sometimes. Some moms even have supply issues with ONE baby.

12:24 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

You are doing great! I had to start supplementing my twins at 8 1/2 months with formula. (before that it was supplementing from the freezer stash from pumping when they were in the NICU). I just couldn't produce enough for 2 babies. That happens sometimes. Some moms even have supply issues with ONE baby.

12:24 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. At least this time, you had all the facts and support to back your decision to do what is best for your family. Listen to Cheryl and "anonymous". They sound very wise and realistic!

You are a great mommy.

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home